Thursday, February 5, 2009

Brother Man's


DALLAS: Brother Man's BBQ
4614 Scyene Rd

Dallas, TX 75210
214-426-1101

Open Daily 10-7:45

Update: This joint is CLOSED. The building was demolished and the owner's were forced to relocate to Loop 12 just west of I-45.

2009: Along the new Dart line sits a lonely BBQ joint that was completely empty at lunch time. I parked in the gravel lot that was designated "Restaurant Parking Only" with sloppy paint on the side of the small building. Inside was a dining room with just a few small tables and chairs, but it seemed like a mainly take-out joint. I placed my order at the back of the store through the iron grille, and passed my money through the small hole. I order a rib sandwich and a sliced brisket sandwich with sauce on the side, but was informed that a side of sauce would cost me extra, so I just asked for light sauce on the sandwiches, and the cook obliged.

As I waited for my order, I breathed in the sweet smokiness and perused the photos on the wall. Many of them were of Barack Obama, MLK, and other famous black leaders, but they had to share the wall with Janet Jackson's famous bare breast from that infamous Super Bowl. The FCC would not approve of this adornment. I received my order after a few minutes and took it to the car for a quick bite. The ribs were overdone, light on smoke flavor and even lighter on meat. These ribs had been carved so close to the bone that the only meat remaining was between the bones. Too bad, because the brisket was really tasty with a deep smoky flavor that the sauce complemented well. The slices were moist and tender, but the fat was not very well rendered. I'm thinking a chopped beef sandwich might be just the ticket for my next date with Janet.

Rating **
Brother Mans Bar Bq on Urbanspoon

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT