Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pederson's Natural Sausage


If you recall, in the great bacon tasting from earlier this year, we named Pederson's bacon the best in the group that was sampled. Pederson's is a small town company in Hamilton, Texas, and offer much more than bacon. They were so happy about the blog post, that they added it to their own blog. Even better, they offered to send me a few of their other products gratis. After searching over the options, I noticed a whole line of bison sausages, then I found the holy grail. Bacon sausage. It's 80% pork sausage and 20% bacon link, and it's awesome.



Bacon Sausage


As I said before, the bacon sausage is obviously made with bacon. This makes it a bit fatty as you can see in the picture, but it doesn't hide the great salty and smoky flavors that come with a bit of a kick. These work very well as a breakfast sausage, but it's no health food. It has more fat and calories than a Johnsonville brat of the same size, so you might want to limit yourself to two or three in the morning.

Bison Bierwurst Smoked Sausage


The bierwurst is a mixture of bison and pork. Bison is a very lean meat, so a little pork was added here for some moisture. After a spot on the grill to warm them (they are packaged fully cooked) I placed them on a roll with mustard. The flavor had more depth than many beef sausages I've had, but there wasn't quite enough fat in these to keep them as moist as I like. Keep in mind that they have only about 2/3 the fat and calories of a Johnsonville bratwurst.

Bison Jalapeno Smoked Sausage


Even more healthy is the straight bison sausage. It's also a bit more dry, but the flavor is great with the addition of spicy jalapeno. I'd say the flavor was more akin to an immature landjaeger than a traditional sausage, but my favorite part about these links is their ingredient list: Bison, Water, Spices, Vinegar, Pork Casing. I guess that's why they call it Pederson's Natural Sausage.

Since I can't expect them to keep sending me free sausage, I went looking for some at nearby grocery stores. I know you can find them at Central Market, but I'm not sure about other locations.

Now I see that they have BBQ Bacon. Whatever that is, it's on my next grocery list.

- BBQ Snob

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT