Saturday, May 21, 2011

More BBQ Chips

After writing about BBQ flavored potato chips a couple of months ago, I've been noticing new flavors more often on the shelf. While driving west of Texarkana, I stopped in a gas station just north of the Red River Army Depot. Inside I found not only a bag of Honey Barbecue Lays (which I hadn't been able to find), but also a bag of Sweet Southern Heat Barbecue chips, which I had never heard of.



The Honey Barbecue flavor tasted like little more than your standard BBQ chip with some added sugar, but the Sweet Southern Heat flavor balanced the sweetness with a nice kick of red pepper spice similar to that of the Flamin' Hot variety. These were some of the better barbecue chips I've had, and I'll be sure to keep my eye out for them. Does anyone else out there have a favorite variety of BBQ chips?

- BBQ Snob

1 comment:

MRL said...

The brand Jimmy's Food Store in Dallas sells is pretty good, Miss Vickie's. I pick up a bag of Smokehouse Barbecue to go with my sandwich whenever I'm in there, though sometimes they're out of that flavor.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT