Thursday, July 7, 2011

BBQ at Baby Dolls

It was around closing time, and I think his name was Henry. No, I wasn't looking for a late night date at Baby Dolls, I smelled BBQ at the exit. The pitmaster himself was holding a tray of foil wrapped sandwiches in pork and beef varieties. Just $3 later, I was on my way to the van with a warm package.



The rest of the bachelor party was suspicious as I unwrapped it in the driver's seat. The meat had a hint of smoke, but the overwhelming flavor was BBQ sauce. With very little meat on a soft white bun, this was a sloppy joe masquerading as BBQ. But really, what do you expect from the BBQ in a strip club foyer around closing time?



I'm always willing to find out.

- BBQ Snob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sacrifices we make, huh?

God and country, sir. God and country.

bruce said...

Been there, done that. I opted for the link sandwich because I figured it would at worst be an Earl Campbell link as opposed to a worst case scenario pulled pork. Sober, I would not have been impressed. However, after drinking nearly an 18 pack myself, that link sandwich hit the spot. Would I go there just for the BBQ? No way. But hammered it hit the spot more than Denny's or IHOP ever could have.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT