Friday, November 18, 2011

Joe's Smokehouse


WICHITA FALLS: Joe's Smokehouse
740 Sheppard AFB

Sheppard AFB, TX 76311

No Phone

Open M-F 1030-1400 & 1600-1900, Sat 1100-1900


Update: This joint is CLOSED.

2011: I was on site at Sheppard Air Force Base for a store renovation project I'm working on, and I noticed a BBQ trailer next to the store. No smoke was being emitted, but the menu was up as was the window. They were open for business and I had just a few minutes to spare before my actual BBQ lunch in downtown Wichita Falls.



Pulled pork with an Alabama white sauce has been rearing its head around Texas recently at places like Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas. At just $9 for a three meat combo, I thought I'd throw in the extra protein on top of brisket and ribs. In asking about the pit, I was told by the owner that a Fast Eddy was his smoker of choice and that he smoked off a number of briskets twice a week and rewarmed it the other days. Now I was just hoping for somewhat fresh beef.



Brisket slices were trimmed too close and dry. A good crust had formed, but the smokiness was still fleeting. Just as I was about to finish my second slice, the owner came over to give me a few more slices that he said were fresher. While they were certainly better than the first batch, it made me wonder why he wouldn't have served me the good stuff to begin with. Pork ribs tasted like they had been stored a while. The meat was good and tender, but no crust had formed due to the heavy rub. They had decent spice and hint of sweet, but needed more smoke. Pulled pork looked like the best option with its numerous black flecks of crust, but it too lacked good smokiness. The meat was certainly moist with the white (yellow) sauce making a good complement, but on all accounts, this was meat that was meant to be sauced rather than enjoyed alone.

Rating **

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT